In light of the recent research study confirming that high fructose corn syrup causes cancer cells to grow and proliferate I thought I would throw together a list of foods that contain HFCS so you can know which foods to avoid.
Because the fact is, you MUST work hard to avoid this poison, if you don’t want cancer, diabetes, heart disease, or be overweight.
But maybe you do want those things, I don’t know.
For those of you who actually care about your health, here is a list of 10 foods to absolutely avoid that contain high fructose corn syrup:
Some of these may surprise you.
1. Bread and other baked goods – muffins, doughnuts, cookies, cakes, pies.
2. Common condiments – tomato sauce and ketchup, just to name 2.
3. All processed foods – mac and cheese, lunch meat, nutrition bars, candy – anything in a box or a bag.
4. All fast foods – ’nuff said.
5. Most boxed cereals
6. Soda – the biggest killer when it comes to HFCS. Stop drinking soda immediately.
7. All other sweet beverages – juices, lemonade, iced teas.
8. Most sweetened yogurt
9. Most salad dressing
10. Ice cream -boooo, I’m about to cry.
Most of these products will all contain high fructose corn syrup, although there are some exceptions.
But in general, you have to be cautious of everything that is manufactured (vs grown from a plant or a tree).
There are non-HFCS options out there in most of the categories I talk about above, but you have to learn to read the ingredients label on all of your packaged products. If there is high fructose corn syrup in something it will be clear as day right on the label.
Foods that are certified 100% organic by the USDA should be HFCS free. But watch out for anything claiming to be “natural” because the USDA doesn’t regulate those products.
And you MUST avoid it at all costs, if your health and the health of your family means anything to you.
Your Friend & Coach,
Susan Campbell, MS, CSCS