You want to lose fat. You want to take more vacations. You want to run farther. You want to get stronger. You want to get sick less. You want to spend more time with your family. You want to increase your savings for retirement.
What do all these statements have in common?
They are all potential goals!
Goal setting is the blueprint to achieving your biggest dreams. It provides us with direction and purpose. It allows us to focus our attention on a very clear end result and commit to a plan of action.
Having goals can keep us motivated and allow us to experience personal growth. It also creates a sense of responsibility within ourselves in that no one is responsible for our success or failure but ourselves.
Sounds great, right?
How do you get started?
Know the Formula For Achieving Your Goal
If you want your goals to become a reality you must develop your blueprint, commit to it, and follow it meticulously.
Check out this short video by this cool cat, Zig Ziglar. He will give you a brief overview of what you need to do to map out your blueprint.
I know you loved it!
So let’s say for the sake of argument that one of your goals was to lose fat because you want to fit into a sexy little black dress for your anniversary. (If you are a guy and reading this, I am hoping you have a slightly different goal in mind.) You have 8 lbs to lose and 4 months to do it in.
Here is the formula from Zig:
1. Write it down and put a date on it: “I want to look smokin’ hot and fit into my little black dress on my anniversary on March 3rd.”
2. List any obstacles that might get in your way: “Not enough time to exercise, not sure exactly how to lose fat, my family is busy and and we eat a lot of fast, convenience foods.”
3. Identify people you will need to work with to help you achieve your goal: “My husband and kids can help keep me motivated, I can work with a Fitness Professional to provide me with fat loss workouts and meal plans.”
4. Develop a plan of action, including smaller goals with dates on them:
“My start date is Nov 1 and my anniversary is March 3.
- By Dec 1, I will have lost 2 lbs because I have started doing highly effective fat loss workouts designed by a Fitness Professional. These will include both strength training circuits and high intensity cardio intervals, performed 3-4 times per week.
- By Jan 1, I will have lost 4 lbs because I have been eating whole, natural foods in the proper quantity, as designed by my Fitness Professional. I will have also stopped eating all fast foods, stopped drinking soda and increased my intake of water.
- By Feb 1, I will have lost 6 lbs because, in addition to the strength training and cardio intervals, I have been training for my first 5k! I will be completing a 5k for beginners program as outlined by my Fitness Professional. I work at this an additional 2 days per week.
- By March 3, it is my anniversary, and I made it to my goal weight and have lost 8 lbs! I also fit into my little black dress and look great! I will have lost these final 2 lbs this month by posting everything I eat all day on the refrigerator so my family can help hold me accountable. It made it difficult to cheat while everyone was watching me. Their support has been unwavering during this process!”
5. List the benefits to achieving your goal: “More confidence, healthier, look better, feel better, my husband won’t be able to keep his hands off me, I will live longer, have more energy, sleep better, be stronger.”
This is an airtight blueprint. As Zig said in the video, if you have the formula it doesn’t matter what the goal is!
Take Massive Action
The most successful people in life are those who set a goal and go after it in a MASSIVE way. Pick a goal right now that you have been meaning to work towards, make a plan using the formula above, and commit to it right here. Be specific, use dates, and have a way to measure your success. Most importantly, your plan should include massive action.
In the comments section below, I want you to leave me a message with your goal, why it is important to you to achieve this goal, and a brief description of the MASSIVE action you are going to take to get there.