I have a few questions for you:
1. Did you reach your goals or resolutions you started January 1, 2010?
2. How much weight have you gained so far this holiday season since Halloween?
3. How is January 1 going to be different for you this year?
This week’s fitness challenge is all about core fitness. I want you to focus on building strength in your core this week.
But of course, we will not be doing the same old crunches and sit ups that do so much more harm to our backs then good for our stomachs – exercises that only focus on flexion of the spine.
In fact, did you know that out core was not designed to flex our spine? Its purpose is to resist rotation to stabilize our bodies so we don’t hurt ourselves while exercising or doing every day activities, such as picking up the laundry basket.
But first, for those of you just joining the weekly fitness challenge you may want to start with one of the home workouts from a previous week:
Here is your Abdominal Fitness Challenge of the Week:
Elbow plank 30 sec
Side plank right side 30 sec
Abdominal mountain climbers 30 sec
Side plank left side 30 sec
Lying Hip Extension 30 sec
50 jumping jacks
- Complete each abdominal exercise for 30 seconds and, without rest, move directly to the next exercise in the circuit.
- When you finish the circuit, rest for 2 minute and repeat 2x for a total of 3 times through.
And I hope you know how to do jumping jacks!
Let’s finish up 2010 strong!
Susan Campbell, MS, CSCS