I wanted to make this big, elaborate list with everything you need for good home workouts.
But when I sat down to make the list, I realized the pure simplicity that exists when working out at home, in that there is virtually nothing you need to do them.
How great is that?
In fact, I thought I would start with a quick list of everything you DON’T need to participate in fat burning home workouts.
- An expensive gym membership
- Time to commute to and from the gym
- Gas in your car to commute to and from the gym
- An hour at the gym fighting for machines during busy times and watching the boys check themselves out in the mirror
- Crappy music on too loudly in the background
- Annoying people around you – most of whom stink.
- Scheduled time to commute and workout at the gym
OK, you get the picture. And you are well aware that, because your life is so freakin’ busy and money is so tight these days that gym workouts are not your best use of your time or your money.
So, back to my original point of this post, what do you need for good home workouts?
OK, you might need a few things, but compared to the list above it feels like nothing. So, here they are.
1. Space – no biggie, right? My favorite places for good home workouts is in front of the TV while I’m catching up on the day’s shows I recorded, in my home office when I am on a webinar or watching a video online, and out in the neighborhood or local park where I can run sprints, stairs, and hills. And the amount of space you need is really limited to the size of your wingspan.
2. 10 minutes – Yup, I said 10 minutes. The good thing about good home workouts is that you no longer need an hour to work out. There is no wasted time when working out at home so you can squeeze in a good workout whenever you can sneak one – when the kids are napping, before the family wakes up in the morning, after the kids go to sleep, when your significant other is bathing the kids, at your lunch break, etc. Sometimes, it can be just as beneficial to steal a few 10 minute intervals throughout the day where you can workout then try to manage your day to find 30-45 minutes to do home workouts all at once. The good news is that if you have some stroke of luck and your kids head off to a birthday party for 2 hours, you can also customize good home workouts to take more time and be a little more difficult.
3. Home equipment – or not! – This is my favorite part of working out at home. You actually do not need half the pointless machines that are in the gym. You really don’t need the cardio equipment they have. You really don’t need the machines that work one muscle at a time, and you really don’t need the personal trainers who work in those commercial gyms telling you that you do need them. In fact, you don’t actually need any home equipment for good home workouts. It’s called using your own bodyweight instead of weighted equipment. There are a gazillion different bodyweight exercises that can make up good home workouts. In fact, I talk a lot about them. If you would like to increase the challenge and variety of your home workouts then I recommend trying the following props: foam roller, stability ball, dumbbells, kettlebells, jump rope, chin up bar. There are others you could get too but those are just a few to start and ones I use to workout at home as well.
4. A Good Home Workouts Program – preferably designed by a fitness professional or perhaps even a home workouts expert! Please don’t go it alone based on what you read in the news, see on tv, or read in fitness magazines. Those sources rarely base their programs on scientific reaserch and techniques that work. They generally base their programs based on what can make them the most money. Ooops, did I say that out loud? If you would like the best home workouts program you can get then try my program, Ultimate Home Workouts, designed by me, a fitness professional and home workouts expert. Click here to learn more.
So, there are 4 requirements for good home workouts.
Get off the computer and start doing them!
Your Friend & Coach,
Susan Campbell, MS, CSCS