So bad, in fact, that it is literally killing you. Check out the infographic below for the truth about sitting down.
- We are now averaging 9.3 hours sitting down per day.
- Sitting increases our risk of death up to 40%.
- Sitting makes us fat.
- Obese people sit for 2.5 more hours per day than thin people.
- People with sitting jobs have twice the rate of cardiovascular disease as people with standing jobs.
- Those who sit 3+ hours per day on the couch watching TV are 64% more likely to die from heart disease.
- The recommended 30 minutes per day of physical activity is not enough to counteract 8 hours of sitting each day at our jobs. You must interrupt sitting.
- Interrupt sitting with walking, stretching, and stair climbing.